Friday, February 6, 2009

Girls just wanna have fun

Currently reading: The Giver with my seventh graders

So this last week in Yakima has probably been the most fun I've had since I moved here. The weekend was really weird, from meeting new people to Steve's car breaking (it moves forward in reverse) to mine getting egged, to Kristin H. having to go to the hospital with a weird allergic reaction. But the rest of the week has been pretty social for us. We spent superbowl Sunday with some friends and then after the game Kristin P and I went out with some of the people we met on Friday night. Tuesday I went and got dinner with one of said new friends, and last night got drinks with other teachers and then ice cream. It's weird to go from having no one to hang out with to having too many people to talk to. I like it a lot, but I've been more tired at school this week than ever before.

That being said, we've gotten a lot accomplished in school this week. We're moving right along with The Giver , so that's good. The kids are really restless though, and it doesn't help when I'm really tired all the time. I have to figure out a balance between being young and having fun and also being a teacher.

Tonight we have a school fundraiser and we are volunteering, so it will probably be another late night. We have to wear these really doofy crab shirts. Needless to say, I am not a fan at all. I don't do cutesy gimmick stuff very well. But hopefully we'll have a good time.

It's been really warm the last few days, and today we saw the sun! Kristin, Kristin and I went for a really long walk, which was definitely a good plan. Now its off to get ready and go out!

Only 6 weeks until spring break and New Jersey!

4 comments:

Ruthann said...

I'm so glad you've been able to meet new people! I still want to come and visit you. Unfortunately just about every weekend seems to get taken up by writing group things, except this one when I've been with my sisters. I'll have to see if I can make another exception soon to come see you, because I miss you a ton! I love you! :)

Anonymous said...

Gregg would like to reference his earlier entry about how you're gonna end up meeting new people and get to know them and have fun.

Gregg <--- a sage for the ages

and as far as not burning yourself out is concerned. Decide that day if you're in a mood to go out or go home and grade papers and sleep. Let your body tell you what it wants to do and I think you'll be kul with that. Isn't it kinda annoying trying to find a balance? My motto is 'balance is boring, lose it as often as possible'!

heh, I remember reading the giver in 7th grade. I hated it, it just seemed like such a useless story and it was boring and I think I was pissed that it didnt give me a definitive answer at the ending. After I recently found out I really have a taste for dystopia books I am forced to say I like it. But I can still hate the fact that I like it. But there is one thing that still bothers me about the book...honestly, how can you use memories of warmth to keep a baby warm?? That's not ACTUALLY bringing up his body temp, they should have frozen to death out there far earlier than they did (I think they probably died at the end).

It was also awesomly warm down here too, I got to go for a walk in the park for the first time in months. It was really nice 8 )

Elizabeth said...

YAY for yakima friends!!!

and the giver is an amazing book.

I CAN'T WAIT TIL YOU COME HOME AGAIN!!!!

K.M. Camiolo said...

hey...
the girls have been in a frenzy of Valentine making. Well, G was in frenzy for 8 minutes & utterly done. Rosie is STILL working on Valentine #5. 3 days after starting. But it is for her teacher, so that merits piles of tiny scraps of paper cut in interesting patterns everywhere. : )

Glad you are being a social butterfly...hooray! : )
peace,
k