Saturday, February 21, 2009

Nothing says awkward like a middle school dance

This is true. Last night Kristin and I chaperoned the seventh and eighth grade dance at school. We were the only adults present at what was obviously a high budget production. The seventh graders brought soda and the eighth graders brought chips. The decorations were a poster on green paper that said "Just Dance" and some streamers and two red lights. The "DJ" was a rotation of three i-pods and a set of speakers. I think the kids thought that having Kristin and me chaperon would be better than the older teachers, but in some ways I think they read us a little wrong. Kristin and I actually listen to music and have been out dancing, so we can tell from the first few bars of a song if it's the one with "Back you a@# up, motherf$#@%$" in the refrain. They were not pleased when we told them to change the songs. Also, we were middle schoolers not too terribly long ago, so we knew the sneaky things they were up to. I may have interrupted a first kiss. I didn't feel too bad about that.

Tonight Kristin and I are going to yet another crab feed, this time as guests, which is much better. We'll be sitting with our principal and the school board, which should be interesting. Also, this afternoon two of my students are playing a doubles tennis match against their respective siblings, so I'll be heading over to the tennis club to watch. Tomorrow is Sandwich Sunday at church, so after then nine o'clock mass we'll stay and make sandwiches for the homeless of Yakima.

That's about all the interesting stuff going on this weekend. Only one month until I'm in New Jersey!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you interrupted a first kiss?? i feel like that's kind of mean. i mean, how would you feel if a teacher came over and made it all awkward when you were about to have your first kiss. well i'm sure they eventually kissed later on sometime, maybe when the dance was over or something. cause when kids wanna make out, kids gunna make out...

heh, you are really excited about coming back to jersey huh?