Wednesday, February 25, 2009

When it rains, it pours

Yesterday was possibly one of the worst days that I've had since I started teaching. The kids were antsy, I had to give a detention, and in the middle of religion class I intercepted a note that began with "I hate Ms. Appert," and went on to describe how terrible I was. Now, I know that I shouldn't really care what twelve-year-olds think of me, but I think every teacher wants their students to like them. Needless to say, the rest of that class period was not very much fun. I was trying really hard not to get upset, which of course only made me more upset.

Then after school I had angry parents in my room telling me that it's my fault that homework never gets turned in and that their kids are flunking. So for another half hour I had to hear about how terrible I was. Then I had forgotten a staff meeting and was late and it was not very good. By the time I got to my car, I was crying. Luckily I have wonderful roommates and Kristin helped Steve get his car so that I could just go home and go for a walk and destress a little.


The one good thing about having a terrible day like that is that you realize how much people care. Steve went out and got stuff for Mardi Gras, and we ate dinner together, and I talked to my friend Bryce, which was good. I also had beautiful roses to make me feel better too.

Sometime soon I'll have to write about our trip to the mission...it was the stuff comedies are made of.

3 comments:

Anne Appert said...

I am really sorry about your bad day. I think it must be the month for it or something. I am sure your students were just frustrated. I hope things get better.
Frustrating days seem to be contagious. I spent all day sunday redoing a project for my class on Monday. when I brought it in my teacher said he liked it and gave me a couple suggestions of how to fix it. This took me all day yesterday to fix cause I suck at photoshop and illustrator. So today I bring it in, exactly how he said, and he tells me it looks like a board game and to rethink it. and its due on Monday. urg
I am sure your students will get over it. :) I would much rather have you as a teacher.
I can't wait til you come home! when exactly is it? I think I will still have to be at school but you should come visit me :)
miss you!

Anonymous said...

No matter what your students or their parents say or do to you...

I know that you're a good person and are making the world a better place with your actions...

Elizabeth said...

yeah...this month is bad...i keep getting one question away from getting B's on my exams...urg.
I am sure you are really an excellent teacher though. you just seem like you would be. and it really isn't your fault if the students aren't handing their homework in. If it's anyones fault besides for the students, it would be the parents. People are just so silly sometimes.

I can't wait til you come home!! you should stay at rutgers and come to dowling's class with me. i'll even make time to go to his office hours with you. he would be so excited :)