Thursday, January 8, 2009

Back in the Daily Grind

Currently almost finished with Seeds of Hope.

This first week back at school has been difficult from a management perspective, but actually surprisingly productive educationally speaking. It's almost like I have to reteach the students to respect me and listen to me. They're really good kids, but they're also seventh graders, which means they know what's best all the time.

I'm trying to start preparing them for the huge standardized test that they have in April, but I hate the idea of preparing them for something like that. I'd rather assess in different ways, but the State of Washington does not agree with me there, and unfortunately, they make the rules.

Life in the house is great. I think we all needed a break from one another for a little bit, but now that we're back, we're having a great time. We went to trivia last night and signed up to lead it in May. Tonight we're going to find somewhere to watch the national title game, hopefully with some friends from Steve's school.

Nothing too exciting, but after the travel drama, that's actually really nice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

are there any states that don't make kids that the standardized tests like that??

cause all I ever really hear about are states doing that and how difficult it makes it for the kids...

i don't really remember taking them too much or prepping for them when I was in school, but I'm sure I had to at some point or another...

glad all the drama was over...

hope holidays back home were fun and drama free 8 )

good luck on quiz night!!