Friday, March 20, 2009

An odd week at the casa de PACE

So getting back into the daily grind of teaching was a lot of fun after a weekend of nearly no sleep. On Tuesday my sevenths graders and I spent all of Language Arts learning how to Irish dance, which was really amusing. If you ever have the opportunity, although I don't know why you would, to see 33 seventh graders learning how to dance, you should take it. It could be a life-changing event for you. In Literature we read and analyzed St. Patrick's Breastplate, and in Religion we did a little more of that. It was a very St. Patrick's Day kind of celebration around here. I did find it odd though, that on the West Coast, there's very little actual Irish about St. Paddy's Day. It's all leprechauns and luck, and nothing about the culture, music, food, dance or history. Even in the Catholic community it's like that. I was the only teacher who didn't make "leprechaun traps" with my students. I'm not sure how I felt about it.

Yesterday was St. Joseph's Day, and as I teach in a school named for him, I thought it was odd that we didn't have some big sort of celebration for him. This was always a big deal holiday at home. So yesterday I brought zeppoli, traditional Italian doughnuts, into school to celebrate with my classes. It was a big hit so today I have to bring in the recipe for everyone.

Ruthann's coming to visit this weekend, which is the most exciting news I've had in a long time!

Please, if you are able, don't forget to check out my fundraising page for the half-marathon. This is really important to me and my family!

3 comments:

meagan said...

Did you bring your bodhran out west with you?

Ruthann said...

Hahaha, I am commenting from your own home! I am devious like that. :)

This is the best weekend in ages! :)

Elizabeth said...

so try teaching father Kevin and lots of random college age students to Irish dance...talk about amusing :)

I'm sad cause i missed zeppolis this year. :( maybe mom can make them some time again... hehe. or give me the recipe. :)

only one more week!!!!!

i am terribly excited :)