Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The week from Gehenna

So I had a rough week last week, with multiple parents in my room telling me how they could do my job better, more efficiently, more fairly, and with less effort. I have a great idea for a reality TV series where they each get a week in my classroom, filmed, with opportunities for the kids to give "confessional" moments as well as the parents. Then at the end they could show me how it should be done.

All venting aside, I had a wonderful weekend. Some old friends were in town for the Spring Barrel tasting at all the local wineries, and on Friday night I had dinner with my uncle and aunt, who were in town for a singing competition. (My aunt is a music teacher and her students were performing at Central Washington University in Ellensburg.) They took me to a fancy restaurant and we caught up on the many years since they've seen my family.

On Saturday I went to a wedding with Willie. He was a part of the wedding party, so there were a few awkward moments here and there as I didn't really know anyone. But he had made all the beer for the event and that was a huge achievement/success for him. It seemed more realistic that he might start his own microbrewery some day. And the reception was great fun. I sat with his sisters, who I know fairly well, and there was a great live band that played really fun stuff. There's something slightly magical about wearing a beautiful dress and dancing the night away with a boy that you really like.

I'm in full half-marathon training mode at this point and need sponsors desperately...if you or anyone you know can sponsor me, please try. I am running for my nieces as part of the NF team.
http://www.active.com/donate/nfseattle2010/EAppert3

2 comments:

Anne Appert said...

When is your marathon?
I want to support you but they just cut our hours for Federal Work Study (apparently they are allowed to do that) so I have no money now but I will by the summer.
Hopefully its not before then!
I am so sorry about your week from Hell. I am going through one of those now :( too many projects.
I am so glad you had fun at the wedding!

Elizabeth said...

That sounds like an excellent idea for a reality tv series actually...It would be interesting to see all those people who think teaching is "easy" actually try and do it (not that I have actually taught anything...well clarinet but that doesn't count...but from your stories it does not sound easy)
I'm also having a week from hell...it must run in the family :)
and I will try to donate ASAP to your race.