Saturday, May 15, 2010

Warm Weather

So last week I was sitting on the couch talking to David my roommate as I read through old blog entries from my first days out west, and I realized that I have lost a lot of my sense of humor and story telling ability in the course of the last two years. I am going to attempt to remedy that in this post as I share some of the funnier experiences I've had out here in Yakima in the last two weeks.

I went to my students' track meet last week, at a surprise request from one of my students. It didn't catch me off guard because I was asked, but because of who it was that asked me. A is one of my more reluctant Literature students. He comes from a strong math/science background and doesn't really see the need for humanities. But anyway, he asked me to go, so go I did, and spent the majority of the time leaning against a chain link fence freezing my brains out and learning cheers from the seventh graders. (These consisted of a repetition of "go for the gold", "push it", and "you gotta want it.") While I was standing there, minding my own business, I was shocked to feel a tiny hand hold mine and begin tugging. "Mom!" came a voice to my left, and I think that poor little girl got the shock of her life when it was my face she saw. She ran away screaming. Needless to say, the seventh graders thought this was hysterical.

In other very impressive news, last week I went out to the farm where Willie works and learned how to weld. I actually welded a piece of farm equipment. I know the story would have a little more oomph if I could remember the official name of whatever it was I welded, but suffice to say it was a lot of fun. Naturally I was terrified of the actually welder...it heats things up to 5000 degrees. I had to wear one of those cool masks and coveralls. And I apparently did a good enough job that Willie didn't have to go back and fix it.

This Friday Crystal comes out to visit! I am sososososo excited!

1 comment:

Admin said...

LOL fun hehe http://www.darkroomdjs.kk5.org