Sunday, October 5, 2008

Fall is here

Currently Reading: Seeds of Hope, Educating for Life, Spirituality at Work, The Twilight Series

The cold is coming...I actually can feel it in my bones. I'm freezing almost all the time, and I need to figure out a way to stay warm at school, buy an extra blanket for my bed and invest in some sweaters. It's only the beginning of October, so this doesn't bode well for the winter. Apparently last year the snow started in October and went pretty much straight through until April. Those of you who know me well know that I do NOT deal well with the cold, not even a little bit. I'm anticipating being thoroughly miserable for the next six or seven months and wishing that I had been placed in Portland.

I'm putting this up as a disclaimer: if I ever talk about students, I will never use names. This is to protect their privacy.

That being said, I had a moment on Friday that made me remember why I teach at a Catholic School. The parish was having Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament in the chapel on Friday, so I took my two seventh grade religion classes over for about a half hour each. I prepped them pretty thoroughly for the behavior I expected of them in the chapel, and told them that there were no allowances made for bad behavior. I gave them each a bible study sheet and we trooped over together. They were soooooooo good, and I was so proud of them. One of them finished early on his bible study and went to pray before the Eucharist. Afterwards he asked me if this was okay, saying "I just wanted to go closer." This was moment number one that warmed my frigid fall weather heart. The second came at the end of the period. We were back in homeroom and the kids were getting their clothes for PE, which was the next class they had. One student was hanging back after the others and looked like he had something to say. I asked him if he had a question or something. "Miss Appert," he said, "I don't know why, but when we were there, I just felt really happy." I almost teared up. it was the first time I felt like anything we did in Religion class had any impact on them. Of course it wasn't me at all, but the Eucharist. Nonetheless, it's the most exciting thing that's happened here yet.

I think God knew I needed some encouragement on the spiritual front. I'm still really struggling out here, but there are bright spots here and there. I've had some really good conversations with one of my roommates about relationships with God and the like, and though he still doesn't really see the need for having one, it's still good to have someone to talk about that kind of stuff with.

I'm hoping to go on retreat here in a couple of weeks. I miss the Catholic Student association and Br. Ken and Fr. Kevin and Fr. Peter sooooooooooooo much.

I'm doing well, trying to keep warm. I miss you all. Much love!
Emily

3 comments:

Nicholas Gillett said...

Those moment sound pretty powerful. I'm so glad that small moments like that happen from time to time. They really are quite encouraging.

I'm praying for you, from one location in the middle of nowhere to another, always. Please know that I'm one phone call and bad reception away if you want someone to talk to.

I miss you so much. Try your best to stay warm!

Yours,
Nicholas

Anonymous said...

I remember that being an age where religion had a powerful influence on my life. It sounds really nice that one way or another it's making the kids feel good, even if they don't fully understand why. And it's doing good for you too, which is wonderful as well.

P.S. Layers Layers Layers Layers & cross your fingers for no snow

K.M. Camiolo said...

L.L.Bean makes warmer things that can go inside rainboots if you still have rainboots..."wellie warmers", they look like cable knit socks.

I'm wearing wool already. It's an Appert curse, great warmth or perpetual freezingness.

The Eucharist...saved me in the early days with G. I never cease to be amazed at the power of the Body of Christ for ANYBODY who says howdy...that experience made MY day, and I'm 50 gazillion thousand miles away.

hang in there...you are always in my thoghts.
peace,
and NJiuwtmj! (I think the computer knew you needed a JErsey girl password!)
k

p.s. pray for G, she's had a 103+fever for a week... : (