Sunday, October 26, 2008

Salmon and apples and grades, oh my!

Currently reading: Seeds of Hope, Educating for Life, 33 short stories by seventh graders

Last night was the school's annual salmon dinner dance. We volunteer teachers went in style and one of the people we know here in town had purchased a table for us, which was really generous of them. We had an amazing time with the people who bought our table and it was a lot of fun to dance and just see people. A lot of parents were there, and the food was great. They raised a lot of money for the school, and we raised 17,000 dollars specifically to buy computers for the classrooms. This will be a godsend to my class, as we currently have a ridiculous system where I save things on my laptop and then sign in as a different user, save them to the server, and then open them on the one computer that turns on. This takes an average of 15 minutes, because word documents take about 7 minutes to open on the computer. Needless to say, I am happy about the new computers. I just wonder when we'll be getting them.

Yesterday I went on a vocational discernment retreat in Toppenish, which is about 45 minutes away. Parts of it were really good. We had some time to pray and just be alone, which isn't something I get very much of these days. It seemed like most of the other people on the retreat were a lot farther along in discernment than I was. They were at the exploring religious communities stage, while I feel like I'm still kind of floundering around trying to figure out why I'm in Yakima and what God wants me to do with my life. It was still really good to come back to thinking about that a little more. I've kind of put it on the back burner since starting on the West Coast.

Grades are due this week. Pray that I get them done.

Emily

1 comment:

Mike O. said...

hooray for computadoras!