Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Yakima

Currently reading: Spirituality at Work, Dicey's Song

I'm wrenching myself away from real work to take some time to write instead. I think my brain is officially fried at this point, and I still have so much to do this week. Sigh. At least I have a job that compels me to read young adult fiction. I'm trying to get a head start on some of the reading we'll be doing in the seventh grade at school this next year, so I'm reading like a madwoman. At least that's what I should be doing. In reality I'm reading lots of textbooks and falling asleep while I should be studying.

I have to confess, I'm more than a little worn down right now. We had an amazing time in Yakima this weekend, which was great. I think I'm really going to like living there next year. The house is nice, and each of us will have our own room. Two of the girls share a bathroom and the other girl and the boy will each have their own bathrooms. The city is kind of in the middle of nowhere in the desert of Eastern Washington. We drove for about three and half hours from Portland, and Seattle is also about three hours from there. I got to see my school and my classroom and get some books and I met the vice principal. It was really fantastic to see the school and get a feel for what I'll be doing next year. I'm really excited to set up my classroom! It's also getting scarily close to time to be a grown up...I met one of my future students at mass on Sunday. My first day of school is the 25th of August. Ack.

I'm struggling a little bit in the spiritual sense right now. I knew that I was leaving a really supportive environment and setting out into the unknown, but I'm struggling without the support now that I'm actually here. It hit me a little when I was on the phone with Chris the other day and I realized that I hadn't talked about spiritual accountability with anyone since I got here. I miss the people who called me on spiritually, encouraging me and giving the hard word when necessary. I miss the luxury of having a spiritual director. (That's something I'm going to try to remedy when I get to Yakima.) I talked to Sara a little bit about it the other night, which was definitely a blessing. I just really want to be able to talk to someone and have them ask me about my prayer life or where I've seen God acting in my life. I'm hoping this is somewhere we can get to in community, but we're not there yet.

That being said, I feel more stongly then ever that God is with me and that this is where He has called me to at this time. I've been consistently confirmed in this, whether through talking with teachers, reading scriptures, or even just hanging out with my community. And I know that if this is where He wants me, then He's going to provide for my spiritual needs while I'm here. It's just so hard not to give in to the lonliness and to trust that His plan is going to work out for my future full of hope. But I know that it will.

Sorry that this post is a bit of a downer...maybe I can put up a quote one tomorrow.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

sleep is a very good thing when you are worn down. you should also get a cup of tea. that always makes me feel better. :) love you tons!!!
don't wear yourself out too too much...unless you already did:(
anyways, that is very exciting that you get to be grown up now. hehehe. although i would be totally freaked out to. good luck with everything!!!

Sara said...

we start every community group by asking what prayers we've seen answered and what we've seen God doing.. can i call you every wednesday just before 7pm our time, and ask/share with you before group starts? it needn't be that time precisely; it was just a thought.

man, i love you.

"those that hope in the Lord will renew their strength.."

Anonymous said...

it's never easy to follow your faith and God. I don't necessarily think it is supposed to be. If it were that easy than everybody would be able to do it all the time with no effort. This is probably going to test your spiritual strength and resolve. But I believe that you'll stay strong...

P.S. I can almost assure you that God would want you to sleep and stay healthy. So be sure to take care of yourself and everything else will be a little easier I promise.