Monday, July 21, 2008

Live the Funk

Currently reading: Spirituality at Work, When You Teach in a Catholic School, Esperanza Rising

Hello all. I'm realllllly tired, so please excuse any terrible spelling or grammar errors. We had Friday off from classes, which was a huge blessing, so on Thursday night I flew out to Reno to visit John, who was running an ultra-marathon on Saturday. It was really nice to see him as I don't think I have since he came back from Iraq almost two years ago, if not more. I spent a lot of time with Wendy, his girlfriend, on Saturday while he was running, and she's wonderful. I'm really glad that John found someone like her. The race was at Lake Tahoe, and it was 50 miles on trails with 10,000 feet of altitude gain throughout the course, so Wendy and I only really saw John at the halfway point and at the finish line. He was racing to raise money for NF research, and he's doing a 100 mile race in a month. It was great to be there for such an important thing.

So it was back into the grind today with schoolwork and classes, and it's crazy to me that I only have two more weeks of class before they turn me loose on Yakima to teach. I still have so much to do before I'll be even remotely ready! I have three preps next year, and I will be teaching six periods a day. It's so much work to get ready. Ack. Double ack. Ok, sorry for the minor moment of panic there. I'll move on.

Tomorrow is two of my three roommates birthdays. They both have the same name and the same birthday. It's a little creepy if you ask me. We're all so busy here that I baked a coffeecake for their birthday, thinking breakfast might be the best time to have some. Even then we won't all be together, because the one girl doesn't start classes until 9, lucky dog :)

Please continue to keep me in your prayers...I miss you all so much. I'm still getting to know the people out here, and I know that I'm making some wonderful friends, but it's so hard to find support for my spiritual side out here. It's ironic to me that my super secular university had a better support network than this Catholic one.

I know this is short and boring...I'll try to think of some incredibly intellectual and interesting things to say soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

do the two girls with the same name go around talking in unison like "Hello our names are Elizabeth, and our birthday is July 22"??

Cause that would be MAD creepy...

John is hardcore, that much running and altitude change is crazy, for a good cause though so I'm glad he's doing it...

I wish there wasn't a world where having class @ 9am is considered late...

Elizabeth said...

i'm so jealous that you got to go... good luck with classes!
and live the funk! :)

i know that was cheesy but i had to add it:)