Wednesday, June 26, 2013

She's back....

So I was talking to my good friend Sara Nolan probably a month ago, (and those of you who know Sara know that she is a blogger extraordinaire) and she encouraged me to start this blog up again.  Recently I have been trying to be more creative, and Willie suggested that I start writing again.  So here is my first attempt at the new and improved She Laughs at the Days to Come.

Since my last post, I have made some significant changes in my diet, and have been successfully gluten free for two years.  I have seen some really positive results, such as no more migraines and putting on some much needed weight.  Most of the time I don't miss the gluten, but there are some sad times when it comes to desert.  So for my first post back, here is a delicious gluten free recipe for Earl Grey Lemon bars, which I adapted from a Cooking Light Recipe.

Crust:
Cooking spray
1 1/4 cups gluten free flour mix (I use the Land o' Lakes recipe)
1/3 cup powdered sugar
2 Earl Grey tea bags
1/8 tsp salt
8 tablespoons cold butter

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Combine ingredients for crust, using 1 tsp of Earl Grey tea from one bag.  Discard the rest of the bag.  Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.  Press into  the bottom of a pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.  Bake for about 19 minutes or until golden.

Filling:
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons gluten free flour mix
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon powdered sugar.

1. Microwave lemon juice on high for 30 seconds.  Add the second tea bag to the lemon juice and steep for ten minutes.

2. Combine granulated sugar, flour and baking powder in a large bowl.

3. Add eggs and rind to lemon juice and whisk together.

4. Combine wet and dry ingredients, pour onto hot crust.

5. Bake for 23 minutes or until set, then cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes

6. Sprinkle the top with powdered sugar.

Enjoy!



No comments: