Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Musings

There's a glorious anonymity about a blog no one reads anymore. It gives a space to hash out feelings in a semi-public catharsis that heals the disease of not listening or taking the chance to speak one's mind.

As I travel through the summer, I've come across some harsh realities in reading the writing of some people I really admire: my younger sisters. In the true experience of sibling rivalry, it pains me to know that they are more talented at writing than I am, as this was always the area where I prided myself on being different from my eight siblings. Keeping that entirely to one side, it also made me realize that living away from home has forged a gap that I'm not sure I know how to fix all the time. I learned that some of the things I valued so much about my last year at home ultimately led to my little sister being hurt by the people I trusted. I hate that. I loved running into her on campus my senior year, hearing the joy-filled "It's my sister!", meeting for lunch,introducing her to my favorite people: bosses, professors, friends. I feel like knowing that these people turned on her ruins that.

I feel like people flower in my absence, and I miss the bloom. My best friend is getting married, and I was never there to hear the little ins and outs of the relationship. They started dating after I left, so I never got to hear about the funny day-to-day happenings or watch as they fell in love. I know this sounds creepy, but I feel sometimes like she is marrying a stranger, and the longer I am gone the more true it feels. She's never even met the guy I'm dating. They will meet at her wedding.

I filled out forms for a race recently, and I had no emergency contact. No one geographically close enough to come if I needed help. I drove to and from a half-marathon alone, ran the race without anyone I knew.

This is more depressing than I meant it to be, but the reality of next year is hitting hard and fast. Another year without my family. Another year that they grow closer and I grow farther away. Another year to "make a difference" when I'm not sure I know how anymore.

6 comments:

Anne Appert said...

. . . Well, if it makes you any happier, there are still at least a few of us who still read your blog. :)
(Really, when it comes to family blogs, I think I become a stalker, I check ALL the time)
AND I would like to say a few things.
1. We are not more talented, at this point in life we have more time to spend on things like writing. Also, you may just be going through a dry spell creatively. I am right now with my art and it SUCKS.
2. Elizabeth really liked having you around campus too. The people her age were just . . . not nice people (I could be much harsher). So don't blame yourself for that.
3. We miss you. It sucks having our family so spread out. perhaps your next teaching job can be a little closer.
Love you. :)

Elizabeth said...

I am a stalker too :)

Hopefully you are around...I'm going to call you right now to explain some things :)

But just in case anyone else is stalking this, you didn't lead me to people who ended up hurting me. I made those friends and those choices. I really did love having you around campus. My first year was my favorite year at Rutgers :)

Love you (more than anne does...hehehe)

meagan said...

You've got friends still following along, too. :-)

Hang in there, Em.

K.M. Camiolo said...

um, some of us DO check in here regularly, you must have posted just AFTER I last checked. But I know the Cloak of Anonymity feeling...

You are always in our thoughts...while physically it doesn't help, we were thinking and thinking of you on race day, imagining all of it (through a PDR lens, since that's our 1/2 experience). We love you and miss you...

And I hope you warned your Sweet Baboo about the Cosmic Reality of Having a Solid Half Dozen Jerzey Girls for Sisters. ; ) heehee.

Seriously...peace to you.
love,
K, aka the Crone

Rich said...

When i get overwhelmed by the feelings that you so eloquently described, I panic. I find it cathartic in its own way. It's a paradigm for life that works in rough going.

administrator said...

nice