Friday, June 19, 2009

Home Sweet Home

It's been an interesting thing, being home for the first time in a while. My roommate Kristin came with me to NJ, and we did all sorts of fun things, but it has been a lot of driving and not a lot of seeing people. We visited Philly and DC and went down the shore, so I think it is safe to say that she had a very full New Jersey experience. There was a lot of eating, particularly fattening and bad for you treats like taylor ham and Dunkin' Donuts. Those of you who know me well will not be surprised at all to find out that there was also a significant amount of Wawa involved in the trip. I think I may have an unparallelled passion for Wawa.

Another thing that I find intriguing about the only being home for a week at a time every six months is the way that some things change and others seem the same. Some of the friends I've seen it's been like I never left. Conversation is natural, and we really enjoy catching up and reminiscing. Last night I hung out with some of the girls I went to high school with, and we had a complete blast. I haven't talked to these girls in years, and yet we were laughing and carrying on like it didn't matter. The whole night was just a lot of fun.

I'm having a little trouble with some of the changes in my absence, and realizing how hard it is to be mature when you don't agree with people who you thought you knew really well. I know this is something I have to work on; people are certainly going to grow and change while I'm growing and changing across the country, but I guess I just wasn't prepared for how big some of those changes would be. I didn't think this would ever happen, but I'm really excited to go back to the West Coast. I know my friends there really well, and they know the me I've become out there. I have a place there. I'm excited for summer classes and for the next year at school. I'm thrilled to live with new roommates and to stay in touch with the old ones. I guess this is a good thing. It only took a year, but I've definitely enjoyed the adjustment.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it can be very difficult to adjust to changes like that. I've heard a lot of people complain that they have a hard time adjusting and accepting the changes that happen to them and other people.

I'm glad you're able to figure it out and be ok with it and be excited about the changes to come 8-)

Elizabeth said...

so I love how you grouped Philly and DC into the full New Jersey experience even though neither are in NJ... :)

anyways, I hope the move back went smoothly. It was nice to have you home for a little...now just waiting for Christmas :)