Thursday, May 21, 2009

It's Been A While Part II

Currently Reading: Funerals are Fatal, Theology of the Body for Beginners

This has been a rough rough week, with a few shining moments. Yesterday I was hit in the face twice with projectiles that I had outlawed in my classroom. The second one hit my nose hard enough that I was tearing up and had a difficult time speaking for a bit. Needless to say, I was more than a tiny bit peeved about the situation. Then, two of my more obnoxious students told me they thought what I taught was stupid and useless, and that they saw no need for me at the school. At this point I gave up. We are strictly doing language in their class right now, because that's what they claim they want to learn, none of the fun enrichment stuff I had planned for the rest of the year. It's discouraging to spend the time thinking up fun interesting things to do and then have kids be full of attitude about it.

So today two of my sweet students came in with little ways of saying that they still care. One brought me a card where she told me that I was a wonderful teacher and gave me a coffee giftcard. A boy from the other homeroom brought me muffins. As I was feeling that there still was some merit in teaching seventh grade, I returned from the school mass to discover that some students had left garbage all over my chair. I'm feeling very defeated.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

holy crap students actually do that!?

I had some teachers I hated in school but I never even thought to do things like that to them, that's above and beyond being mean to a teacher. That's terrible and I'm sorry that it happened 8 (

I never thought I'd have to say this to a teacher who loves teaching but at least the year is almost over...

I also agree with the two nicer students, I think you make a great teacher. I suppose this whole experience is taking away some of the impressions you had of teaching a while ago, but having to deal with bad students is part of it too unfortunately...

Try not to let them get to you and take it one day at a time 8 )