Friday, February 4, 2011

Nothing is certain but death and....

Taxes. For those of you who can already see where this is going and are fleeing from the impending rant, I don't blame you. For the last two years I have worked for literally NO pay and this is the second year that I have totally screwed by my one attempt to something to give back.

If anyone knows a mysterious way to deduct the income that comes from an AmeriCorps award, I would really appreciate it. Right now I have 6,212 dollars of mysterious income that I never saw that supposedly came from our government. (The actual amount of the award is MUCH smaller.) Unfortunately, even though I never actually got to do anything with this money, I have to pay through the nose for it. To add insult to injury, I can't even claim it as an educational expense, at least not from what I can tell.

I am really stressed out about this. I didn't really have a place in my budget for huge taxes that come from spending TWO years as a VOLUNTEER!

4 comments:

Crystal said...

When I was an Americorps VISTA we had a VISTA support line that we could call for stuff like this. Do you have anything like that?

Anne Appert said...

maybe you should have mom and dad talk to David about it? he might be able to help you

K.M. Camiolo said...

Em, I'll ask Dave.

hang in there...

peace,
k

K.M. Camiolo said...

Em,
:(
If you used it for living expenses, it's taxable. Even if you never actually saw it. If it went towards housing etc, to quote the resident CPA, "you are screwed".
:(
If you use it to pay interest on student loans you can still take the student loan interest deduction.
If you want, just give us a call. Dave is saying technical sounding things at me.
peace,
:( k