Sunday, July 5, 2009

Like an Indian summer in the middle of winter

Currently reading: Lots of research on effective spelling instruction, The Wednesday Wars, Animal Farm, Esther

So the first week back in school was a little bit overwhelming. Summer classes move so very quickly, and getting a master's degree while teaching keeps you very busy. This summer I'm taking research, and next year I'll be conducting research in my own classroom. Needless to say, this is a huge undertaking and also has far too many parts to worry about. So this summer I'm reviewing the literature and setting up my research methods, and then in the fall I'll conduct the research and write a massively large paper outlining my findings. I'm not too terrible excited about the prospect, but at the same time, it is excitingly grown-up and professional to be conducting a quantitative educational study. I'm going to be focusing on spelling and writing.

My reading class is utterly amazing, and I can already tell that I am going to be a much better teacher next year because of it. I've also been stockpiling resources for teaching religion, so while I am completely exhausted, I also feel like I am getting a lot done towards being a more effective teacher.

Thursday we went to Bluesfest on the waterfront and listened to some wonderful music and had a good time dancing to some not-as-wonderful music. Then this weekend I went up to Olympia to celebrate the fourth with some friends. It was a nice relaxing two days when I didn't bring any work with me. I just sat back and enjoyed the time away from school. My friend Luke has a house out on a lake, and we took a rowboat out into the middle of the lake and watched all the neighbors setting off fireworks. It was really a lot of fun.

And then today it was back into the grind of schoolwork. I'm still waiting on a paycheck, so funds are tight and my friend Erin had to lend me money to print out an article I needed. I felt like a loser when that happened. Once my life calms down a little bit I'll do my best to be in better touch with people...I'm a little overwhelmed right now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you have so much stuff going on...

I'm sure this isn't going to mean a lot coming from me, but I am soo proud of you and all the stuff you've been able to accomplish and the stuff you WILL be accomplishing...

I always knew you were one of the special people who were going to be able to get their work done and do amazing things...