Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Another Bend in the Road

On Saturday or Sunday I will once again pack up my belongings into my Intrepid and make the drive over the Satus Pass and into Yakima. I am really excited to be back in school in teaching mode and to see all my old students and meet my new ones. I'm feeling a little bit burnt out by school right now, and my motivation is lacking. Right now I have little to no interest in investing time in things which don't directly benefit my students. That being said, I know that all the things I'm currently working on will definitely make me a better teacher in the long run, but it's hard to keep that perspective in the midst of papers and assignments and deadlines. I'm also feeling a little frazzled as I realize that I will not be living with my old roommates ever again.

My new housemates have been much more difficult to live with than I had originally anticipated. There are some really strong personalities in the group, and I am not one of them. As a result, I'm rather unhappy with a lot of the situations I find myself in. I'm getting more assertive about things, but its hard not to compare with the people I lived with last year. I don't think I'll ever be friends with at least one of the people I live with.

On a more cheerful note, I am challenging myself to be more creative this week. I am going to write one poem each day for the next seven days and see how it works. Maybe if I have any decent efforts, I will post them here. My goal is to get back into the practice of writing every day, and start small. Then maybe I can expand things a bit and get back to writing some fiction. Another goal for mental stability is to get back into running. I've been taking things a little too easy since the half-marathon, and I'm getting excited to run for a cause again. I'm recruiting a bunch of people to run a 5 mile portion of the Portland Marathon with me in October. If anyone's interested, let me know.

I'm trying to be better about investing time in people out here. I miss having friends.

2 comments:

Anne Appert said...

HEY!!!
I know I just got off the phone with you but I decided I had to comment on your post, seeing as I felt a little guilty that I have not commented on anything in a long time. and because you asked me to :)
I look forward to reading the poems. :) are you going to have time to do that? I hope so.
um. . . hmmm . . . seeing as I just got off the phone with you I am not sure what I should add to our fantastic conversation
EXCEPT!
1. I am sure that you will be friends with your roommates. sometimes, things like that just take some time.
2. I MISS YOU!
3. I will try to come visit next summer.
and now I will end this rambling. :)
love you!
Anne

Unknown said...

I imagine it's rough to try and do anything personal when you've got TONS of work to do for school and such.

As far as the writing thing is concerned I think it's great that you've given yourself a goal and are gonna work towards it. I have found in my life that sometimes I need to force myself to schedule things in or else I won't do them.

Sucks bout the roomate situation, but if nothing else this might be motivation for you to spend some time getting out and meeting new people. It's nice for everybody back here in jersey to say "we'll be your friends!" but it's not the same as having people you can actually physically interact with. Don't worry though, you're a charming, intelligent, and fun girl so if you go out to social gatherings you'll end up making new friends right-quick 8-)

good luck to ya with everything,

- Gregg