Sunday, September 7, 2008

Week Two has come and gone

Currently Reading: Seeds of Hope, Seventh grade literature

So I've now officially survived two weeks of teaching. Survived is the operative word here. Actually, it hasn't been as bad as everyone made it sound to me, but it definitely has been incredibly challenging. Some of the kids are really great. There are two in my homeroom in particular who really have helped me figure out some of the really strange things about the school. On the first day, when I forgot that the last homeroom of the day we were supposed to pray together, my one student said to me, "Miss Appert, we need to pray now." The same student brought me hops to put on my window sill because it's Yakima, so of course the students bring hops instead of an apple or flowers.

Times are incredibly financially tight right now, especially with the price of gas. I guess that's part of the volunteer deal...trying to make ends meet and live incredibly simply. It's a good thing that I already kind of did the living simply part of things. But I'll be glad when hopefully money isn't quite such a big stresser. It makes me tired to think about.

Today we are supposed to be going for a hike, if my roommates wake up in time. The original estimated time of departure was 8 am, but I have a strong suspicion that isn't exactly going to happen, as it's currently 7:45 and I'm the only one up. the one problem with not drinking a whole lot is that you kind of get the designated driver status. As a result, I was up much later last night than I meant to be, and I'm the only one who naturally wakes up early.

My kids are a lot of fun, even if the one group is much more difficult than the other. Seventh grade is such an interesting age, because they are all way too cool for their own good, but at the same time surprisingly sweet sometimes. My homeroom had a locker decorating contest, which was a blast, both for the kids and for me. They all, for the most part, took it really seriously, and we had some amazing lockers. They got bonus points if they used something from or about NJ, and one kid actually turned his entire locker into the New Jersey Devil, and used caution tape and cones to "contain" it. It was hysterical and really imaginative.

Please keep one of my friends out here and his family in your prayers. They are going through a rough time and his dad is really sick. I miss you all lots and lots.

3 comments:

Anne Appert said...

hey Em!
Congrats on finishing two weeks of school! I'm glad you updated again. I like to hear what you are doing and I don't hear from you often. It sounds like you are settling in well.
Hooray for NJ! I think its pretty funny that you have your kids decorate nj style. :) can you post pics? I want to see their lockers! I miss you!
Anne

Elizabeth said...

haha
i want to decorate something like a new jersey devil. hehe that really made me laugh.
it was nice talking to you today. hopefully we can do it more often. :)
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

hurray for designated 'waker upper early...er'