Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Miss Appert

Currently reading: Seeds of Hope, Seventh grade literature

So I’m slowly but surely getting used to being called Miss Appert. I’m also getting used to being called MRS. Appert, Miss Ay-pert, Mrs. Ay-pert and just plain Appert. Today was my first actual full day of teaching and it was relatively exhausting. I teach six 45 minute periods a day, two language arts, two literature and two religion. Classroom management is most likely going to be the hardest thing for me, especially because I have some really bright but really difficult students. The school is a pretty strange place, but I really like it.

Community is one of the strong suits of the school, but this also results in some pretty odd situations. We haven’t actually had a normal schedule yet due to performing acrobats on 12 foot poles. Apparently it was more important to have a school wide assembly in the parking lot to watch some rather bizarre performance art group from Australia. What on earth they were doing in Yakima, Washington, I may never know.

Life in the house is going well, but it’s a little tricky getting used to living with three new people and it can be stressful. It’s also difficult sometimes that all three of us are teachers and so this is the first week of school for all of us.

I know this is short, but I’m tired and we don’t really have internet or phone reception at the house, so I have limited amounts of time for updating. Thank you so much for all your support and all the birthday cards and wishes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, I wish when I was in school we had more assemblies in the parking lot watching Australian performers. Might have helped me realize my dream of being an acrobat on a 20 foot pole...

You get to teach a religion class?? That's kinda kul, didn't think you'd be doing that in school; although i guess it is a catholic school. That's kinda kul. What kind of lessons do you teach the kids?

And $20 says that you're gonna get some really crazy stuff happen to you that you can't even imagine. Some of the teachers I've talked to and read about and stuff have stories that blow my mind sometimes.

And it seems kinda random that you've got 4 teachers living in the same place. But hey at least you'll all be able to share each others school drama and understand what the other is going through...

be sure to post some of the crazy stuff that happens at the school, those stories are always entertaining! 8 )

K.M. Camiolo said...

thinking of you so much this week...

and hey, my first grown up apartment was 3 teachers who in a pinch all answered to some variation on Kris...eek.

hang in there...Rosie was asking tonight if she would Ever See You Again...with much melodrama, and much love.

peace,
k